European Robotic Arm
While the space station's Canadarm2 and the Japanese Experiment Module Remote Manipulator System can service the US and Japanese segments of the station, they cannot service the Russian modules. The European Robotic Arm fills that need.
Facts and figures (Courtesy ESA)
- ERA’s 11 m structure can maneuver 8-tonne payloads.
- It is a true autonomous robot, fully programmable.
- It can be operated by the crew from both inside and outside the Space Station.
- It teleoperates with an accuracy of 5 mm.
- It is designed to cope with the hazards of outer space.
- It is reversible – a hand can become a shoulder, and vice versa.
Page last modified: 22 July 2021 15:20:55.